Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Third Time Perhaps the Charm?

An evening to myself on Monday night. A bit of a crazy weekend and all I ached for at the end of it was a quiet apartment, no lights, no sound, just quiet. And just the lure of a kitchen waiting for me. It was a little late by the time I made it back home but I knew I wanted to try bread again.

The bag of bread flour came out, my yeast, milk, water, olive oil, and maple syrup. Yes, maple syrup. Starting with the basic ratio of 5:3 (five parts flour to three parts liquid) I altered the liquid used, substituting a little more milk and then going beyond the ratio just slightly to add in a tablespoon of olive oil and another of maple syrup. I mixed, I kneaded, and then waited. In the interim I popped in Branaugh's "Much Ado About Nothing" and relaxed. By the end of the movie the dough was ready for me to shape it and then allow for its proofing. I divided the dough in half and shaped both into baquettes, leaving both on the floured pizza peel and covered with a dish cloth.

An hour later, proofed, I scored and brushed with olive oil. In both baguettes went into the oven and out came ...


No comments:

Post a Comment