Thursday, July 9, 2009

Proof and Poof!

There is no picture of the finished loaf because I forgot to take the picture and all that remains now are a few slices. A couple of them toasted on a stovetop griddle to be paired with this morning's breakfast of chicken sausage and eggs.

The bread. If you recall, I recently purchased Ruhlman's Ratio. A great book that aims to teach its readers the fundamental basic ratios of everything from bread to muffins to custards. In the wake of learning these ratios the idea is that the home baker will almost never have to consult a cook book again. Know the basics, master the basics, and you can play as you wish.

The first chapter covers bread. A standard ratio of 5 parts flour to three parts liquid. Add a little yeast, a little salt, knead, rise, knead, shape, proof and poof! bread. Right?

Last Thursday was my first Thursday of the summer of not having to go into work (lots of vacation days that need to be used this summer and Fridays off anyway have gifted me with four-day weekends every weekend this summer). I finally had the time available to attack bread for the first (really, the second, time .. note: The first time I ever made bread was actually from a recipe from "French Women Don't Get Fat" when I first set about to no longer be fat).

Where was I? I tend to fall off track, don't I?

Last Thursday. I took 500 grams of bread flour and 300 grams of water. Sprinked 10 grams of salt and 1 tsp of yeast and set my mixer to knead it all. About 10 or so minutes later the dough had reached its optimal elasticity. It looked perfect. I shut off the machine, placed plastic wrap over the bowl, and let the dough sit for about 2 or so hours while I napped. When I woke the dough had doubled in size. I removed it from the bowl, poked my finger in to make sure it had the right sort of give, and then set about kneading it to "punch" out the gas. I shaped the dough into a boule and then left it on my pan to proof. When complete I scored with a giant "X" and brushed on olive oil that was full of fresh rosemary and some dried thyme.

45 minutes later my boule was a beautiful golden brown. Impatient I couldn't let it sit. I thumped the bottom and then grabbed my bread knife and sliced in. Tasty ...

The final thoughts: the bread was tasty but:

(1) I would have liked it a little more "airy," i.e. have more pockets of air, making the bread have more of a "netting" look, something I am a fan of in my purchased loaves.

(2) I would have liked a little more crunch to my crust. The first thing I might do is bake it a little longer. The second "fix" will be to use my baking stone instead of a cookie sheet.

The plan is to make bread again very soon. This time I'll shape into a baguette. This time I'll use the baking stone. This time I'll play with what liquid I use (no need to only use water). This time I might add with some other extra seasonings.

This time for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment