Thursday, July 23, 2009

Poor Cookies

Don't adjust your screen. There is nothing wrong with the photograph. It isn't blurry. The cookies are imprisoned. Poor cookies. I truly had no choice in the matter.


You see, I was in the mood for something sweet. Again. I was torn between brownies, cookies, a re-imagining of a s'more. And I finally settled on cookies. White chocolate coconut pecan cookies at that. Their beautiful fragrance melding nicely with the scent of a freshly cleaned apartment and the hint of the humid air beyond my laptop's screen and the smudged window. Okay, the words aren't poetic but that smell was. And I was suckered in. Out came a glass of cold milk (too hot for the coffee I'm really craving) and a single plate for a single cookie. Still warm. Still gooey. The white chocolate slightly firm but collapsing completely once in my mouth. Hints of coconut. Every so often a bite of pecan.

I wanted another. And as I was posing the cookies to capture with my camera, my nose kept brushing against that scent. My stomach lurched. Pushing me forward. I pushed even further. Went straight to the top shelf of my cabinet and pulled out two plastic storage containers. And so they sit imprisoned. And I sit the victor for having withheld and having survived the temptation of another cookie. Perhaps not an actual victor. Those cookies were good and I know I would be all the happier with another one in my belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment