Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Another Night, Another Computer

I walked into work this morning and the sun was shining quite strong overhead. I ducked into my cave for the day. A 10-hour work day scheduled with enough craziness in the midst of it to mean I would not get much time to leave. Heels that were cute but annoying enough to cause most movement to be painful. A quick escape for a few minutes yielded some sun, some fresh air, a gift of a coffee crisp, and "The Soul of a Chef." Lunch was a pasta dish with some sauteed chard, diced cherry tomatoes, a handful of artichoke hearts, a little bit of garlic, and some mozzarella. And perhaps a side of the coffee crisp. Lunch also served another helping of internet surfing of Dining and Wine sections, blogs, and a new online magazine catering to those like me who are obsessed with the craft of sweets.

As I left work and felt the welcome humidity and heat and saw the waning sun over the Hudson, I didn't want to get on the train to go home to my teeny apartment whose only view to the outside world are a handful of windows and one tiny little marigold plant purchased 3 days ago and miraculously still alive. Perhaps instead a sip of wine outside? Or perhaps a stroll to the park to see the last bits of the sun escape? No. Instead I am at another computer. Facing my windows and looking at the sky and the little bit of nature ahead. An improvement from the earlier day.

But at least now my aim and purpose in front of a computer is to capture those recipes I have experimented with and loved. To pull them all into one format, save, send, print, and then insert into that beautifully growing cookbook.

A smile escapes from the stress held between my shoulder blades.

One more note, I had thought to take the brownies I have remaining (with white chocolate and hazelnuts) and make them the extra chunk in double chocolate cookies. The night is still young. Perhaps those will still be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment