Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Decision Made

Two days remain for me at the bakery. Just two more days after six months of spending a few hours a week elbow deep in cake batter or swiss merengue buttercream frosting. Just two more days after six months of wishing people "Happy Birthday" or "Congratulations." Just two more days after six months of sharing with bakers in broken English or Spanish how to best use orange zest in cherry cobblers or how pounding a pound of butter into a square for croissants can be the most therapeutic way to start your Monday morning.

About 3/4 of the way through the internship a recommendation was made that I try a bread internship as my next venture. The prospect sounded enticing and something that would be the perfect break during the summer months. Something to break up the monotony of my full time job. Another activity to keep me focused and moving forward with my passion for baking, experimenting, and sharing my creations. But then something struck me. A slight little slap on my back. A little tug of the hair. A little twitch in my left pinky. Self-motivation was knocking and telling me to skip another internship and move into my kitchen.

This morning the twitching turned to an overwhelming urge. There is bread to teach myself to bake. Then there is pasta. There are pies and tarts to bake. There are fresh fruits to pick, pit, or poach. The desire to teach myself is there. The desire to learn is there. And there is a wealth of information in my books and from my internship experience to tap into and unleash.

A decision made.

No comments:

Post a Comment