Thursday, June 25, 2009

Food Therapy

Last night provided little sleep. And what was had was restless. Too many thoughts ran through my head. Unsaid words. Said words. Things undone. Or done. When the day's light ran in through my window early this morning I gave up trying to will myself to sleep and walked into the one place I knew I could find peace of mind.

You might look for a warm room with a soft glow from a table or desk lamp. I look for my brown sugar. You might seat yourself in a comfortable armchair or spread out on a chaise. I grab a mixing bowl and my wooden spoon. You might find someone in front of you or beside you, speaking to you, listening to you, asking questions, offering guidance or just a welcome silence in which to fold yourself. I find myself with my flour friends who never speak but allow me to work.

There is no guessing with baking. If I want muffins there is a certain amount of flour to a certain amount of fat. If I want a cake there is a different amount called for. But always a certain amount. Items are weighed and measured and save for a few spicy or extra sweet kicks there is always the basic from which to start. Follow those basics and you can't go wrong. You might have a normal, run of the mill cake, but it will still be a cake. It will still be edible. And if you want to play with it, you can. Add some cinnamon, add a little nutmeg, crystallized ginger, substitute brown sugar. Spice it and sugar it and make it yours.

If only life could be as easy. Five parts communication to three parts affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment