Tuesday, June 16, 2009

French Women Don't ... Oh, we know already!

Yes, we know. But do we really know how to make a delectable baguette or ciabatta? I don't. After picking up and inhaling each page and recipe in "French Women Don't Get Fat" I decided to try her recipe for a baguette. It was my first attempt at bread. Worrying so much about the dough, the yeast, the kneading, the scoring, I failed to really think about where I was placing the bread in the oven. The loaves came out tasty. But ... well, one was golden brown but a little too doughy in the middle. The other was perfect in the center but not all that great to look at. A little pale. Like my legs after a winter encased in the death shroud of stockings and knee high insulated boots. Since then I have not attempted bread. I have experimented with quick breads and croissants and biscuits but I have yet to try bread since then.

That is until now. This weekend. My new assignment. Taken from Ruhlman's "Ratio" I will try to make bread not using any recipe but remembering just the ratio for bread: 5 parts flour, 3 parts liquid (add yeast and salt). I have some fresh rosemary that I'll incorporate and will keep it as simple as that. Stay tuned for pictures or rants and raves.

No comments:

Post a Comment