Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Power of Orange Cookies

Or any cookie for that matter. I walked into a pastry shop around my apartment with the idea of "scoping it out" for a possible summer internship. I haven't sampled any of their offerings and thought I should (support local business, right) before seeing about anything else. The display cases were not at all appetizing or appealing (the shop wasn't either to be truthful) so I picked what looked the most interesting--a chocolate cheesecake. While waiting for the pre-cut slice to be put into a paper bag I looked at the rest of the offerings--more cakes: chocolate mousse, carrot, german chocolate ... standard fare). There was a large bowl of chocolate chip cookies and some interesting looking (and LARGE) rugelach and I was overcome with the desire to purchase a chocolate chip cookie. Not because it looked particularly tasty (it looked dry actually) but to see if I could judge the quality of a bakery on a cookie. That has given me ideas. I feel like I judge myself based on the quality of my cookie. Why can't I do the same with others? So, a horrible task and assignment but one I think I can suffer through ... sample the cookie offerings of New York City's bakeries. See what passes the test and what should just be passed by.

No comments:

Post a Comment