Friday, May 29, 2009

Frost! Frost! Frost! -- At the Bakery

I had a great morning there today. Cakes to frost. Happy Birthdays and Congratulations to wish. So many times when I place a cake in the box, making sure it is as perfect as it can be, I look down and think of the next time it will be viewed. What will Hallie or Jake or Noah think when they look at their name across the top of a red velvet or devil's food cake? Will they think my "B" or "C" crooked? Will they wish for more sprinkled confetti or for room to place an extra candle? Will they wish I used chocolate instead of blue or pink? Will they not care as they search in vain for that cake server or knife so they can slice through the thick layer of frosting? I make myself hungry. Not for cake. But to be a part of that experience. I want to bake a cake. And gift it.

My internship is coming to an end. Another four or so weeks and I will no longer walk into that kitchen, don my apron, hat, and mess towel. There are some mornings when dragging myself out of bed and thinking of the long day ahead of me (bakery, gym, work) I want nothing more than to call in to the bakery and make my excuses. But then I remember the great opportunity this has been and how little time I have left. So little time to stand side by side to some of the best bakers I have met. Men and women who learned not only in school but in the daily grind of early mornings or late nights. Men and women who stood side by side to great pastry chefs to learn when to perhaps use oil instead of eggs in a cupcake and why. Lessons I fear I might forget if I don't chronicle them and if I don't keep myself in a kitchen.

While I have been looking at other opportunities for internships this summer I am sad to report that no one is really responding. While you would think this experience would make me a shoe-in it seems as if school is still something people are looking first for. There is one slight opportunity that will take me off of the sweets path but will keep me in a professional kitchen. I can only keep my eyes and mind open and see where that leads me.

No comments:

Post a Comment