Thursday, May 7, 2009

I'm Not Yet Awake ...

and forgot to chronicle the tales of yesterday's day at the bakery.

I was scheduled to work with the little wandering Tinkerbell again but she was not in yet by the time I arrived. So instead the head baker had me start her work. Yes, an intern, not yet in school, baking 30 yellow cakes that would later be topped with chocolate or a buttercream and displayed and sold or delivered with a "Happy Birthday Christopher." I creamed the butter. Weighed the sugar. Sifted the flour. Beat the eggs. Doing all of this while the head baker opted to help me by prepping my cake pans. I was left alone to make the cakes. Left alone in my own little utopia where I joked and chatted in English and broken Spanish. And where in later weighing the batter per cake pan I realized where I might have not paid the most attention. A lesson learned and retained for next time and for my own kitchen experimentation. Each day always delivering a lesson in patience and in paying full attention.

The time flew by and before I knew it the cakes were cooling, Tinkerbell was at work at red velvet cakes, I had already frosted three Devil's Food cakes, and was on my way to wishing Christopher a "Happy Birthday" written out in broken cursive and surrounded by confetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment