Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What will I bake?

Dear lord, what will I bake? What will I bake? What have I baked??? I don't believe I have shared.

Let's start with the walnut brownies with a white chocolate swirl.

Here are the brownies ...


Here is the swirl ...


And then Keith turned 33. And I had NO idea what to make for him. I think I moved into my brain for a good two weeks until something hit me with a "duh" stick the night before the festivities were to begin. How could I not bake him black and white cookies ...


The recipe was okay but I was a little distracted and I mixed the flour more than I wanted to so the cookie was too dense for my taste. But, well, if you don't mind me patting myself on the back, not bad at all for the first attempt. The taste was exactly where I wanted it. EXACTLY. Just a touch of lemon coming through the cookie. The texture is what I'll work on. Improve upon. But it was worth it to walk into my living room with three cookies on a plate and sing him Happy Birthday a few moments after midnight.

Oh, and his birthday "cake?" A lime tart. A little on the thin side (what do you expect when you stretch it out into a 10-inch tart pan ...


Now, on to the question of what to bake for this Friday's dinner. I'm thinking I might attempt the Root Beer Chocolate Cake courtesy of Baked. But today is the first day of fall. And I let the entire summer go by without one stinkin' pie. I think this Friday calls for an apple pie. With apples purchased straight from the market and my dough made from scratch. Yum. Yum. Yum. The minutes are slowly ticking my. Slightly in tune with the new grumbling in my belly.

1 comment:

  1. I want a lesson in Black and White cookies. I never told you my retirement plan, did I? In retirement, I want to make a map of the 5 boroughs according to where to find the best black and white cookie (and sort them by category [i.e. cake-like, soft frosting, shell-like frosting, small, size-of-the-moon cookies].) FYI ;-)

    ReplyDelete