Monday, September 7, 2009

Is Summer Really Over?

And has it really been almost a full month since my last entry?

Before I get into what could have been or what was not done this summer let me bring you with me to a memory that I want to etch forever in my mind. Late last week I turned 30. Yes, the big, and seemingly obnoxious, 3-o! I don't feel 30. I don't know what 30 is supposed to feel like. What I felt on that day, however, was overwhelming love from friends. Keith surprised me with a dinner party with the closest friends I have, most strangers to each other, but absolutely and 100% beloved by me. At one point in the evening, as I was walking back to my apricot ale and fried pickles the following stopped me:

Jackie: Jenny, what is it that you're supposed to bake for me?
Me: A berry crisp.
Adam: And what are my favorite cookies?
Me: White chocolate dipped almond shortbread.
Carlos: And what did you promise me for my birthday?
Me: A white chocolate cheesecake with a hazelnut crust.

I then looked to Rachel and David who were beaming with smiles and I thought of my "brookies."

So many great friends and if there was one overwhelming emotion, thought, expression, etc., it was this "I have had the pleasure of baking for all of you. And I will continue to have that pleasure. And I thank you for allowing me to do so. Thank you for my very happiest of birthdays!"

Back to the summary of this summer: I didn't bake or experiment quite as much as I would have liked. But I baked. And I paid attention to what was around me. And I thought a lot. And I read a bit. And I think I have a handle on something more than nothing, which is better than where I have been.

But where am I really now that the summer season has come to a close and work sets into full swing tomorrow?

I am sitting here none too pleased or tickled with my blog name. Time to change. Something less harsh sounding. Recommendations accepted.

I am seriously contemplating another internship instead of my original plan to just sit tight in my apartment and experiment and read and learn.

On the other hand, I am also seriously contemplating moving into my kitchen, setting out a more detailed plan (horribly lacking this summer), get to reading and studying and really focusing on laying out a self-educating plan. On the side I might take a business class or two.

What can I take away from this summer?

Two cakes. One chocolate and paid for. Another lemon and adored.

A pancake recipe I can finally love. No milk. Some soy. Some yogurt. And lots of fluff and tangy taste.

Brioche that sweetly sits and waits for me to turn into a loaf and then a snack or breakfast. The next loaf absolutely must become a bread pudding.

Cookies and muffins galore.

The absence of a pie and looking forward to a fall season of pumpkins and apples.

Flan. Regular. Coffee. Coconut. Sweet. Too sweet. Just right. Needs rum.

1 comment:

  1. know this is late, im catching up on some reading....i like the name...not harsh at all!!

    ReplyDelete