Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lemon Cupcakes

I really need to catch up with pictures. Definitely not as interesting to look around when I have nothing pretty to remind me of that beautifully tasty and fantastically cake-y lemon cupcake.

I digress (as always). Perhaps a blog should be started on all of the digressions and the lives that exist in my parenthetical notes. Perhaps I already do have one.

I digress again. Where was I? Ah, cupcakes. Yes, cupcakes.

My best friend purchased a book devoted solely to cupcakes and she posted a Facebook status update about her adventures into honey and chai cupcakes (there was both in the actual cake and the whipped cream "frosting"). I was intrigued. And I waited for her to send me the recipe. And waited. But inspiration was there. And an uncontrollable need to bake something. Anything.

So I found a simple cupcake recipe. One for a lime cupcake with a lime glaze. I had no limes. Well, I had half of a lime leftover from the last couple of bottles of Corona Keith and I drank. But not enough to make even a glaze. But I had lemon juice and I had lemon curd. And I'm the bigger fan of lemon to begin with anyway.

So I followed the recipe and substituted lemon for lime. I added some shredded coconut flakes to the cupcake batter (it seemed too "boring" without). And while they were baking (too much batter in the cups and the cupcakes looked more like cakes) I went ahead making the glaze (confectioner's sugar, lemon juice, and a splash of rum -- I figured that was one part of the recipe I really loved).

The cupcakes out of the oven. Gently cooling on my counter. I grabbed the lemon curd, used my reclaimed pastry bag (long story for another blog), inserted said curd into the center of each cupcake, topped with the lemon glaze, and then topped with even more shredded coconut.

Heaven. Delightfully tart, yet sweet, heaven. Twelve trips to heaven.

No, I didn't eat them all myself (I did skip the gym twice this week afterall). But the heaven came in the multiple cupcakes my brother grabbed, the text message I received from Keith after sharing them with his colleagues.

All in all, I only had three trips to heaven. But I'm planning a return trip. At least a return to the lemon. Let's see where she takes me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment